Friday, September 9, 2011

"Class 4A Athlete Of The Year"

-This story was taken from The State Newspaper out of Columbia, SC.-



Class 4A athlete of the year: Colby Coulter, Lexington


4A boys track mvp Colby Coulter of Lexington.

- Tracy Glantz

School: Lexington

My favorite event ... I’d have to say it would be between the 4x800 (relay) and the 3,200, which worked out perfectly for me this year. The 4x800 is the perfect team race. Everyone has to do their job and know where they need to be before they hand off the baton. I love anchoring and taking all the pressure for the whole race, it makes me a better runner. The 3,200 is one of the most challenging races in track. Anyone that runs it deserves props. You really have to reach inside yourself during that race and pull out everything you have, and then you still have a mile to go.

My inspiration is ... There isn’t a single person that inspires me most. My mother washes my clothes, makes sure I’m properly nourished, and is at most of my races. My dad works all week to give me everything I need for running and gets just as excited as I do about all of my runs. My team inspires me on the field and at practice. These are the best group of guys anyone could ask to run with. And, of course, I have some of the best coaches in the state.

Running teaches me ... Dedication, work ethic, and so much more. It’s also one of the best, and cheapest, shrinks you can find. The best thing is running just listens to you and always agrees. Well, until your body pain jumps in.

The best advice I’ve gotten is ... “You’ve been given a gift. This is your chance to show everyone who you are and what you’re about. I know you’re nervous and that’s natural, but you know what you can do. Forget about everything. Clear your mind of what everyone has said, because after the race you’ll know you were right and they were wrong. So, go out there and show them how Colby Coulter races.” (from Mom)

My life motto is ... “Find what you love, catch it, and excel in it.”

To prepare for races ... I always give a day to myself before big races. Pasta for dinner, motivational movie, and a good night’s rest. Wake up, eat a bagel, and put the headphones in my ear ’til we get to the line. I try to completely clear my mind and prepare for the race. I try to show my confidence toward my team so that when they see me calm and ready, they’ll be calm and ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment